Friday, January 17, 2014

so we meet again: week #2

Week 2 was not without its challenges, I'll tell you that much. Not only is it hard coming off of a good week, but with it being my birthday week too? Yeah, that proved to have its own set of challenges.

I did try to make some good decisions in the area of my birthday celebrations though.

1) My best friend took me out for supper on Saturday, and instead of choosing Boston Pizza where I would've had several slices of pizza and a few glasses of Pepsi, I chose Olive Garden and had a small bowl of soup, salad and (only??) 3 breadsticks with only one glass of Coke. And no dessert.

2) I decided to have Les and the girls take me out for my birthday meal NEXT weekend so that I wouldn't be going out for wings and fries on Wednesday.

3) For my supper on my actual birthday (Wednesday), I didn't make a meal I would normally have made to celebrate - like something Mexican with lots of grease and of course Pepsi. Rather I made a beef & broccoli dish with rice and had a minimal portion...with water. [Granted, I did have Pepsi in the afternoon, BUT I shared it with Les and didn't even end up drinking my whole half...not because I didn't want to, but because I felt like I shouldn't.]

4) While out for lunch with a friend on my birthday, I chose to have a bowl of chicken noodle soup instead of a sandwich and ceasar salad like I normally would have. I did give in, however, and enjoy the FREE birthday cinnamon bun that you get on your birthday.

5) I only had a small piece of birthday cake in the evening with my family. They went to the trouble to make me a cake from scratch, the least I could do is have a small piece!

So yes, there were some additional hurdles to overcome this week, but I still felt good about my choices and I still kept up with my running. Second week of Couch to 5K is officially finished as of earlier this morning and on an "off" day of the program, I did intervals of walking/jogging/incline on the treadmill for 40 minutes to still get an awesome calorie burn.

My problem with this week is that I wasn't happy with the results on the scale. Even though I knew it was going to be a difficult week, I was still hoping to have lost at least a pound, putting me back into the 140's again. But when I saw a 150 on the scale and realized it was only a 0.6 pound loss, I was none too impressed...to say the least.

One of the other competitors in the challenge posted this on our FB page:

My scale told me this morning I had lost 1 lb.
But what my scale didn't tell me was that I didn't eat any extra sugar this wk. It didn't tell me I walked 1.5 miles each day, It didn't say hey well done you feel better than you have in a long time! It didn't tell me that I go outside for fresh air and walk in knee deep snow just for the fun of it! And it didn't tell me that I'm reading my Bible every day.
All it gave me was a number. Why is this number so important to me? This Challenge, to me, has become way more than just "losing" numbers on the scale or of being the "biggest loser". (that in itself is so negative ) To me its become a positive challenge to become a healthier and stronger individual, mind body and soul!


THAT's my problem with these challenges. It only goes by weight loss; that number on the scale week in and week out. Nevermind the rest of it. I burned hundreds upon hundred of calories this week. I sacrificed many Pepsi's that I normally would've had. I gave up a dinner at Boston Pizza for crying out loud!! I ran around the block a couple of times in my heavy winter Sorel boots last night (that is NOT easy, fyi...). But the scale doesn't tell me that.

Of course weight is the only black & white way to really do these competitions, so there's no real solution there. The motivation behind them is great to get you into gear, but I don't know...it just doesn't seem to be a real way to track successes. I think, for me, a better way would be to have a "support group" on FB like we have within this competition...but to have no money involved, no "winners". Just a way to motivate and encourage each other.

But, that's not what I got myself in to.

So after a really bad attitude this morning, I decided to take my measurements to get a more accurate reading of the choices I have been making these past two weeks. And let me tell you, I'm glad I did!

The difference between my starting measurements and today's measurements after only two weeks was much bigger than I was anticipating! I took measurements in 2 areas in my chest, 3 over my stomach/waist/hips and then my thighs and arms. And I lost 13" in total over all of those areas; the majority of them over my stomach area which is exactly my biggest problem area.

And now I feel so much better.

I have no idea yet where I fall in the standings after this week (last week I was #4 out of 28 people!), but I still have another 4 weeks to go. Anything can happen. And I will continue to TRY to find a balance between working hard enough to attempt to get in the top 3 by the end of this and not letting it rule my life and emotions.

Montana's wings are coming up this weekend and I intend to fully enjoy it!

1 comment:

TammyIsBlessed said...

Sounds like some great accomplishments to me!! Love that the measurements went down - such a great encouragement

You can also find me here:

You can also find me here:
(click on button)

Search This Blog

or here

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Greenery' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP